Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Two Bluebirds of Happiness, Version 1 and 2

"The Bluebird of Happiness II," 1" x 1", egg tempera on vellum, 
with hand-painted matt, for the Hipp family

my first "Bluebird of Happiness," 1" x 1", egg tempera on vellum with hand-painted vellum matt, Venetian glass mosaic frame

My friends, the Hipp family, moved out of my building a few weeks ago, and I was sad to lose them as neighbors, even though they will still be in Brooklyn.  The Hipp daughters loved my "Bluebird of Happiness" and the miniature painting I did of it, so I decided to surprise them with a housewarming gift for their new apartment by painting another one inch square painting of the bluebird of happiness, version 2.  I tried to make it as close to the first version as possible, but gave the second bluebird a different framing treatment.  I like both framing treatments for different reasons.  What do you think?

7 comments:

artbyakiko said...

What lovely bluebird paintings!! Both have gorgeous frames. I thought the micro mosaic one is a brooch. Mona, your friend will be very happy to receive such a wonderful gift!

Debra Keirce said...

Beautiful! The second one has a much more contemporary feel to it. I like them both! Lucky Hipp girls!

Unknown said...

I agree with both ladies. The first does appear like fine vintage jewelry. The second is definitley a fine piece of art.

Mona Diane Conner said...

Version #1 is not a brooch or jewelry item---it has a brass easel backing (stands upright), but if it were a bit smaller and had a different backing, perhaps it might make a nice one.

Thanks, & interesting remarks.

artbyakiko said...

Mona, I was just going through your work again from the top to bottom of your blog. Your artworks are truly breathtaking and visiting them makes me feel good. It must be the love and spirituality you put into your works. Thanks for sharing your works. One day I hope to own one of your masterpieces!

José Carrilho (Go Detail) said...

Hi,

These are awsome.
I quite like the colours and the translucency of the bird.

Kind regards,

José

Dean Grey said...

Mona!

I LOVE that the bird paintings are entirely in shades of blue!

Just gorgeous!

-Dean