Monday, February 23, 2009

Aretha's Famous Hat


(portrait in progress, 4" x 4")

After two days of patient work, I finally got all the Swarovsky crystals on Aretha's hat!  It took a bit longer than it would have if I had a few new brushes, but since it was extremely cold today I decided to wait on this trip to the art store, and give it my best try anyway. 

I was surprised to find out this week that Aretha's hat, designed by Luke Song, has become quite famous, and believe it or not, it even has it's own Facebook page now, with over 100,000 fans, including yours truly!  Due to at least 300 requests, a $179 less expensive version of the hat has been made available by Song's millinery, and according to the Chicago Tribune, the Smithsonian has requested to make Aretha's hat part of a special permanent exhibit.  

Aretha's response:  "I am considering it.  It would be hard to part with my chapeau, since it was such a crowning moment in history.  I would like to smile every time I look back at it and remember what a great moment it was in American and African-American history."


6 comments:

artbyakiko said...

So those tiny dots are also Swarovsky crystals! The hat looks awesome and exactly like the real one. Is it done yet? It looks perfect to me.

r garriott said...

Very nice portrait of Aretha-- very dramatic. I love how warm her face is next ot the blues of her outfit and the background. It was a chilly night as I recall.

Mona Diane Conner said...

Thanks Akiko and R. To answer your question Akiko, it's getting there, but not finished yet. I have more work on her face, her clothes, and in softly indicating the background figures.

Debra Keirce said...

Mona, I thought this painting was stunning even before you added the crystals...Now it's WOW!!!

Michelle said...

Wow Mona this is beautiful! I can't belive it's only 4"x4"!

That's so funny about the hat! Because as soon as I saw her while watching the inaguration, I said said to my husband, "I LOVE that hat!" But I had no idea it was so popular!

PS. The wonderful James Parker directed me to your blog!

Unknown said...

Amazing Mona! You and the portrait! And you say you're not finished? I'd take a vacation after placing all those crystals. I stopped counting after the 50 or so at the left bottom edge. And thank you for the info about tubing your own colors. I'm learning more everyday. HUGS!