Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Aretha, Step 3, plus a word about brushes & framing your miniature


Now working up the image over all a bit more, I've added the black velvet bands to the hat, so that I can start adding all those sparkling Swarovski crystals onto the black trim.  


Here is a line-up of my palette knives and brushes used for my miniature paintings.  Left-to-right:  palette knives for scraping paint off my palette, and for mixing pigments in jars, #20/0 Silver Ultra Mini Pointed round, #5/0 Escoda Kolinsky, 1/2" flat Cotman Windsor & Newton, #3/0 Umbria round Princeton synthetic, #0 and #1 Cotman blue-handled synthetics, #2 Princeton filbert, 2/0 Princeton shader, 3/0 Princeton round, 20/0 Princeton spotter, 15/0 Micron detailer, #000 & #00 (and up to #1 is also good) Series 7 miniature sable Windsor & Newtons, #000, #00, (#0 missing here), #1 regular Series 7 Windsor and Newton (I use these if I can't get the miniature Series 7, or in combo with them), Utrecht's (comparable to W & N series 7 for a lower price) Vermeer kolinsky sables series 221 in #000, #00, & #1.  The three brushes I use most often are:  3/0 Princeton Round, #000 series 7 miniature W & N sable, and the 15/0 Micron Detailer.

To frame your miniature, if you can't find a suitable photo frame, I recommend a framer who specializes in scaled down delicate frames, such as MiniArt Supply.  Proprieter Nancy Still is a talented miniature painter & MASF member.  She carries a wide assortment of tasteful ready-made frames, but also will make and ship a frame to fit your specifications for a reasonable price.

6 comments:

artbyakiko said...

What a difference this black line on her ribbon makes! Her gloves are also more detailed now. Thank you for sharing the information about your brushes and the supplier. This supplier is amazing. They have everything you need for miniature painting, including information bout miniature shows!

Mona Diane Conner said...

Thanks Akiko. Yes, I recommend MiniArt Supply also for miniature art supplies in general. Nancy is great to deal with, and prompt with shipping.

Debra Keirce said...

Thanks for all the tips, and Aretha is looking fabulous!!

James Parker said...

Mona, your work is superb...I've been admiring your portraits...actually using your work to inspire me in my venture into portraiture. And thanks for sharing your brush inventory. Here in Costa Rica, I'm pretty well limited to Robert Simmons spotters and liners for my detail brushes.

Mona Diane Conner said...

James, it's an honor to inspire one who paints all those Costa Rican beetles so beautifully!

Would you believe, here in Brooklyn for months I kept renewing a large book from the library on beetles, wishing to paint them, and meanwhile you have the beetles and are wishing for more brushes....

James Parker said...

Mona...visit The Beetle Ring...I have a link on my Yimiart website...it will take your breath away.