Wednesday, March 4, 2009

The Gilded Panel


Here is my panel after two coats of gold leaf.  It actually took more than two books of gold leaf, partly because of the curves and sides.  Even with experience gilding can be tricky, so if you have not tried it before, I do recommend practicing a bit first with imitation gold leaf until you feel comfortable with the process.  You can get a beginner kit which includes imitation leaf, fast-dry size, and even a bit of venetian red which is often used under the leaf as a base color, and this is a great place to start.  With more experience you'll use less gold.

I'm still waiting for my shellac crystals to come in the mail, so I'll return to this project once my surface is ready for applying paint.  It can take a little extra patience and time to arrange trying something new, but if it lights my inner fires, I feel it's worthwhile.  Who knows what great places it may lead me to?  I hope I can pull off the new technique of oil painting on gold, because I love how this panel looks too.


6 comments:

Debra Keirce said...

This is gorgeous! I'm thinking the gold gilding may lend itself well to miniature art pieces, because of the expense, and because I be it's easier to gild an aceo. Have you done minis with it before?

Unknown said...

Wow!!! Shouldn't this be in a vault or something!? It's gorgeous.

Mona Diane Conner said...

I haven't done it yet, but I do have some miniatures in mind for gilding, absolutely.

I have seen some miniatures by others which included a little gilding. It's done in calligraphy, and here's a link to Wes Siegrist's step-by-step mini which includes shell gold: http://www.artofwildlife.com/step_by_step_painting.html

Mona Diane Conner said...

Sheila, it's value is only if I can adequately paint on it too, but thanks, you are fun!

artbyakiko said...

Wow! This is beautiful! Just imagining the painting of a beautiful woman with baby on it takes my breath away. Can't wait to see how it develops.
Thanks for the DB link. Will order one. I'm thinking about experimenting with ACEOs. :)

Debbie said...

Mona, I enjoyed watching your demonstration!! and your panel is just gorgeous!!!! I've always loved the look of gold leaf in artwork, but never knew how it was done. Now that I've seen it done, I might give it a try some day. Thanks :)